Upon our arrival to one of the enterprises which uses the machines with CNC up to 15 000 rpm ( 2 years since launching) and which ordered several super precision micron three-point calipers for QCD, which is the reason to establish closer contacts) we couldn’t but offer the production of our partner - HAIMER company. Close control equipment needs relevant tools, which will maintain or even boost the quality level of production.
We couldn’t be more wrong.
After looking through the catalogues, handouts and watching the presentation of our tools we received a double indignation from both the technologist’s and the miller’s sides. The dialogue looked approximately as follows:
- Why should we pay extra money for the expensive German mandrel, when we can buy the Chinese one twice cheaper?
- And what about runout or tool consumption? – we asked.
- We’ve got numerous boxes of milling tools from Tomsk Works. Although, basically, only large diameter milling tools are left. We write programs especially for the milling tools in stock. That’s the way we work, we take orders primarily on large details…
At this moment part cutting with the milling tool 20 mm in diameter was in progress. It was evident that the milling arbor didn’t match the main spindle as there was a distinctive sound peculiar to load impact.
- What’s wrong with runout? No big deal, just 10 times bigger. We have these tools in spades in our storerooms.
- And do you have the device for adjusting outside the machine – we wondered.
- No, if we don’t fit the size, we take a new tool.
So we couldn’t reach out to them at the first try, because the miller was actually right about the level of prices.
Below you can find an extract from our presentation.
According to German engineering specialists, on every 10 micron of runout there is a 50 % increase in tool deterioration!
Standard HAIMER arbors have the runout up to 2 micron.
Arbors with thermic clamping – about 0.02 micron.
If You don’t care about the accuracy of the tool manufacturing, use obsolete equipment, tool durability is not important for You and Your equipment will soon be sold for scrap, HAIMER production is definitely not for You.
P.S.: A month since our visit
the machine spindle block broke down and needed the change of bearings. The case didn’t fall under the guarantee, despite the novelty of the new equipment.